To become a GHM Volunteer, it is necessary to have a current enhanced level DBS for working with children. This can be achieved in one of two ways:
1. By applying through the APPLICATION PROCESS below and then providing 3 valid identity documents, please check the list below to ensure you have the correct documents. These should be brought along at an agreed time and shown to the DBS Recruiter. Follow the steps below.
2. If you already have an existing DBS which is on the Update System, then it may be possible for this to be used at GreenHouse Mentoring also. If this is the case please bring your existing DBS along with you at an agreed time and show it to the DBS Recruiter.
Watch this video
Click here and complete this form. Note the organisation reference and code on the right which you will need to enter.
When you get to the employment details screen, under “Position Applied For” you should enter “CHILD/ YOUTH MENTOR”.
Complete the “Self-declaration form for a position requiring an Enhanced Disclosure” by Clicking Here
Once you have completed the above forms you will need to bring some documents in to complete the DBS process.
To make the application as seamless as possible, we ask that you bring at least THREE documents.
- One Group 1 document and
- a further two recent documents from any of Group 1, 2a or 2b (one of which must verify your current address) to our DBS recruiter(s)
- your NI Number
- a note of each of your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates (MMM-YY) that you moved.
- We can only accept valid, current and original documentation. We cannot accept photocopies or internet printouts
- Your current photo driving license is now valid with just the photocard
- Recent document means either
* Must be less than three months old
** Issued within last 12 months
Group 1: Primary Identity Documents
Group 2a: Trusted government documents
Group 2b: Financial and social history documents
Documentation in a previous name can only be accepted where you can provide legal evidence of the change (if the name change was due to Marriage, Civil Partnership, Divorce/Dissolution or Deed Poll Name Change for example). Married individuals need to provide a Marriage certificate as proof of surname change. If you have legally changed your name for any other reason you must provide proof in the form of a legal document.
Should you be unable to provide three of the above-mentioned documents, please contact the GHM Administrator ASAP in order to make alternative arrangements.
You will need to bring your National Insurance (NI) Number with you to the DBS interview.
In addition, we also require that you provide us with a Five-Year Address History. Please note down the Full address (including postcode), the month and year that you moved into that address and the month and year that you moved out of that address.
eg. [Address 1] (Sep/2009 to date)
[Address 2] (Jan/2007 to Sep/2009)
[Address 3] (Feb/2005 to Jan/2007)
You must always show the GHM Manager your disclosure, if blemished, before you begin to volunteer with GHM. As such, we require that you arrange a meeting with the GHM Manager as soon you receive your disclosure.
DBS Update Service
Once you have received a valid DBS Certificate then this can be automatically kept up to date by a new service called DBS Update. Once we have completed your DBS Check we will write to you with a link. This service, which is free for volunteer roles, means that, should you apply for a similar role in the future needing an enhanced level of check, then you can present your DBS Update details to them and prevent the need to collect and show all your documents. To find out more about DBS Update please follow this link – https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
You can subscribe to the Update Service as soon as you have applied for your DBS check. If you wait to subscribe with your DBS Certificate number you must do so within 19 days of the resulting DBS Certificate issue date.